Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Long River




When Boris got home last night and saw Ben’s painting, he remarked on how good it was and joked about taking it to work to hang in his office.  As a side note, Boris is a very talented painter.  I, on the other hand, am still drawing stick people at a kindergarten level.  After Ben went to bed, I asked Boris if he was serious about hanging the painting in his office.  Because let’s be honest, sometimes we say things to our children that we don’t really mean.  Not to be cruel or dishonest but to make them feel good about their accomplishments.  I have to admit, I liked Ben’s painting too, even though my original plan was for him to add many layers.  As it sat in the kitchen afterward to dry, I felt a little sad that it would morph into something else, that some of the little details I liked would disappear under different colors of paint.  I love the little black dots he added with his finger in the lower left hand corner and the glob of paint left behind when he realized I was filming him.  

This morning we talked about keeping his painting as is and he thought it was a good idea.  We also talked about how an artist usually names their painting.  I suggested “Long River” and he agreed.  If you listen carefully to his words in the video, he says, “Look at this long river.”  We will resume our layered painting project for Ben’s bedroom as soon as I go out and buy a new canvas.